Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Using a scanner for art

I saw an artist on an arts programme who goes into the US version of pounds stores and buys crappy things like plastic flowers, animals etc - the tattier and cheaper the better.  He then sets up the items like in the old masters still lifes and scans them.   They look amazing.  I will find his details and add to this post another time.   In the meantime is put some real flowers on my scanner and placed a black box over them.  I also did one of my face then worked it in photoshop.  Looks like a death mask.  Would like to do more of this and then perhaps paint the results.

Just found this site on scanner art:
http://www.scanner-magic.com/index.html

2 comments:

  1. This is a technique I've seen used in quilting, using fabric that you can print onto. I like the look of the flowers, which I can see you have used for your background picture. Re the scan of you, did you try putting fabric over you to block out the light?

    How come you haven't shown us the one of you sitting on the scanner?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're right i think i used a black velvet shirt over my head. don't tempt me on the showing my own little flower.

    ReplyDelete