Thursday, July 26, 2012

Jenny Saville Exhibition - Modern Art Oxford

 It was just as well I had combined the Saville exhibition with my trip to 'Art In Action' Fair in Oxford, as the latter's car park was washed out with all the rain we've been having till now and they were bussing people from a farmer's field which I declined and went home - I wasn't getting my wheelchair which I need for exhibitions, into an electric golf buggy train thing to the bus then the bus to the show - life's too short.   The trip was still worth it for the Saville exhibition.

Loved this exhibition - HUGE paintings of flesh.  I'd seen her work online before but when you stand in front of these 10-20' pictures of big women, intersexuals, cosmetic surgery operations (she watched operations) and cows hanging  in abatoirs (she lived near one), you are just overtaken by them.  And then there are her beautiful recent drawings of her pregnant and holding her first child, based on Davinci cartoon.   I can now see why Saatchi took her on and I am beginning to see why the YBAs took off - there was a lot of talent. (see also my Hastings review of Gary Hume, another YBA (young british artists - late 80s graduates which includes Damien Hirst.)










1 comment:

  1. Hum, not sure on this, either subject matter or execution. Not my cup of tea dear!

    ReplyDelete