Monday, April 22, 2013

Preparations for classes

Busy week.  I have  exhibitions to fit in while preparing for classes.  I am going to be taking full allowance of pain relief if necessary as I am determined to get thru it.  This means I will be feeling very happy and even more talkative even though I will also suffer from dry mouth. which makes me drink more, which necessitates i am go to toilets at every available opportunity while i am out and about - a glamorous life.

Tomorrow morning I will pop into into wood frame place in hackney to check it out before going to Somerset house for graphics exhibtion, Pick Me Up which is only on this week and in same building the Courtauld for 'Becoming Picasso' exhibition.   Then off to school to photocopy work for screen printing and then etching class - I still have to draw on spare plate tonight for that.  

Wednesday Screen printing I will also have to prepare for tonight and tomorrow night.  This is where i am with the graphics ready.  I am preparing enough graphics for 2 A3 screens.  You don't have to fit this much in, some people just put a star or a flower in the middle, but as usual, i want to get as much in, to get the most out of all the processes I will have to do.  I will use the schools screens but will ask teacher for list of suppliers to get screens, and other small equipment.   Here is where i am and need to finish tonight so i can photocopy at school tomorrow onto 2 A3 sheets.


Screen 1 left side will be 3 rows of graphics i can use separately or on top of greek writing below etc.  One of these may be a photo formatted in half tone in photoshop but not sure i will have time tonight to do this.    Right side is a Tshirt design, main black ink design and above it second colour - red fingernails which will be done when black is dry.  It is done with 'registration' marks to ensure correct positioning.  I did the nails by tracing through on top of the hands then tracing this above to get on one page.  I think it would be much easier to do this in photoshop.

Screen 2.  I drew the skeleton head 4 years ago ( l loved it as my first good drawing done in ink without any thought, and gave me confidence to go back to art) and i had prepared it as pattern in previous screen print class but never printed it.  I can be printed as 9, or strip of 3 or just one head over perhaps the greek writing on the right.  Skeletans are very in, not really my thing, but i only print on old sleeping gear.
PS. 4 HOURS LATER AND EXHAUSTED AND ACHING SO HAVE USED OLD DRAWINGS TO FILL IN GAPS ABOVE.

Thursday morning I will go back to wood place if i need more time to decide on wood to buy, go to Royal Academy Print Show only on this week, then National Portrait Gallery for Man Ray portraits before my membership runs out which i am not renewing.

Then off to picture framing class.  I am taking a drawing I did of cafe owners child and they told me on facebook they would like a copy.  This is the simplest frame to make.  I also need to frame 2 canvasses i bought, the gold is one of a past teacher and the bright coloured one is by an 8yr old child i bought for £25 which was the only one left by him, all the others had been sold.  I think it has Hockney influence from his last exhibition though not sure the artist knew.  I am taking these to get framing teachers input as they are both tricky colours.

Drawing I will use for first,  simplest picture framing.
Gold leaf letter Canvas for framing suggestions from teacher

Childs painting for suggestions from teacher.  At the moment I  have it on table as I had been trying to adapt a clazed box frame I had.  The teacher mentioned spacers which is exactly what i need.  I will see if the wood place has them.  They will stop the painting touching the glass and another set will keep the backing at the back of the frame, as it had been made to sit just behind the glass for a drawing.


1 comment:

  1. Wow, you sure are packing in a lot when the painkillers kick in! I love the squeezed in t-shit screen. That is going to look really funny I think. Great idea.

    With the split screens, do I take it you can print half the screen?

    It has been years since I went, but do you now have to pay to get into the National Portrait Gallery?

    By the way, I LOVE the new look blog. This looks much fresher.

    Oh and double by the way, I think a friend has located screen printing classes here! I am now eager for more posts from you, to see whether it would be worth the effort getting to this class (not easy location). So keep on posting (no pressure!).

    ReplyDelete