Sunday, April 15, 2012

Art exhibitions I've been to recently

I've been to a few and been meaning to blog about them.  So will now precise:

Freud - Nat Portrait Gallery -   Love the flesh but uneasy feeling about him and women
Hockney Royal Academy - beautiful bright coloured paintings of Yorshire landscapes.  The huge ipad prints really interesing - just got couple of books from library on his digital art.   Look forward to getting ipad one day.
Hirst - Tate Modern - agree with some critics - doesn't need 9 rooms at the Tate.  I liked half of it - the butterflies and flies (I know, they belong in science museum).  Some pretty stuff.   A big butterfly flew onto my bright orange coast and attendant had to remove it before I could leave the room.
David Shrigley - Haywood - only 10mins so will go again.  Some humour in the drawings.  Not sure about the scupltures.  I loved his animations a few years ago.

Tate Britain - all in one afternoon for quick previews.
Patrick Keiller -  'The Robinson Institute'   -friend from NZ wants to see it so i thought i'd check it out - for me with poor attention span and dislike of standing, I didn't stay long enough to read the long texts in detail or watch the 1/2 hour videos which moved very slowly but i think i got the jist.   Not bad but not my thing.  Admire rather than love.
 Picasso and British Art - Tate Britain - only had 10 mins before closing.  Will probably go again.  Seems ok.
Migrations - British art through the theme of migration from 1500 to the present day.  Need more time/less aches and pains to read the labels about the artists.

Still to see:
Hajj - British Museum
Turner - National Gallery

1 comment:

  1. I've yet to see any of the iPad art that I have heard so much about.

    My 70+ year old uncle has just updated his iPad 2 for an iPad 3! Anyway, he told me that they sell what he called reconditioned iPads with a guarantee. That might be a cheap option.

    ReplyDelete