Thursday, April 4, 2013

Inspired by RA Manet portrait exhibition



Done from my imagination in 20mins, in RA cafe, using Procreate on Ipad, after seeing the Manet 'Portraying Life'.   As usual, i should have left it as i finished and liked it.  But, when i reopened it, i added a few touches which lost the original spontaneity.  Knowing when to stop - so important, so hard.  Still, its freer than some of the stiff sketches i've been doing life drawing from an actual model.   I've noticed this before - ie.  that drawings from imagination don't get bogged down in trying to 'copy' from life.



1 comment:

  1. Have you gone for the 'wishy washy' look on purpose or is that app? How do these pictures print out, as you see them here? I rather like this effect, I'm thinking Monet rather than Manet here.

    Having seen this, ideas are staring to pop in my head. Maybe I should give it a go at some point.

    I agree too, knowing when to stop is key. At least with quilting (depending on what technique you use) you can remove what you don't like. However I just read something about a woman who silkscreened all over her quilt top, and then hated it. That is tough when you work out how many hours or work she ruined.

    ReplyDelete