Sunday, April 1, 2012

Apple buns

Am experimenting with bread dough - different lengths of rising.  Used a little of the dough to do a variation on the German Beer Buns I saw on the cookery program Hairy Biker Bakeation - them travelling round Europe cooking local foods.  Here is recipe for their cabbage and meat filled buns  http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/meat_and_cabbage_buns_80117


My dough wasn't sweet, I just rolled out in rounds put apple and a half teaspoon of lemon curd in middle, bundled up and sprinkled sugar on top.  They taste fine, though might try a sweet dough next time.  Good alternative to pastry as there is no butter.  No pretty yet but will improve.




Am also watching My Little French Kitchen on BBC - very cute - a pretty young English girl, studying cookery in Paris, living in the tiniest flat - she has to put up her bed each day and cooks on a pin head of a kitchen.  Yet she turns her flat into tiny restaurant at night for 2-3 people - brave - cooking French food for the French.  She has some lovely recipes.  You can see why she got the job on the telly.  Does she really not have a boyfriend or two with mansions in paris? - or is she an independent passionate - it's all about the food and my career as a chef or - somewhere in between probably.  She seems very sweet and passionate to me.

http://www.thelittlepariskitchen.com/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01dy7yt

I will be trying more recipes from both these programs though harder to find her recipes on online so i will have to make notes while watching (unless i buy the book!) whereas bikers have them all bbc online. - You can see why I had to enlarge my jimjams.

1 comment:

  1. Are those buns cooked?! Honestly, I HOPE they tasted better than they looked! One looks just like a pale bottom! Ha ha, sorry, but it did make me laugh.

    Seriously, the idea for these buns sounds like something we did at school. You made a dough ball. Pushed your finger into the middle and put in some jam. Then you closed it back and baked it. Well, something like that!

    Apple, sultana and cinnamon would be a good filler also.

    So, what is with all the cooking?

    ReplyDelete