Friday, August 17, 2012

White Cars - this is mainly for John but anyone can help me decide

I am changing my car in a few months probably from Qashqai to Qashqai +2 - 8"  longer, and not sure what colour to get. 

Scarily I have been starting to like white cars.   I hate white van man, white boy racers and those big white party stretch-limousines.   So why do am I starting to like them.   Since I am Mrs average (not cutting edge - if I like it then most people are getting one or it's at least availabe for sale.)   I thought I should investigate what's happening with white cars.

  • I had wondered if it was the white iPod thing - i will definitely go for a white ipad (as well as loving everything white in my house).    
  •  I had already try to investigate whether lighter colour cars would be cooler - thus using less petrol on air conditioning and show less dust than the black one  (black looks more sophisticated but is also more hot)  - and yes I was correct 
  • in fact  I was right on all points - as this and other articles show-  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2008036/White-cars-fast-catching-black-popular-colour-road.html
  • apparently white went out after the 80s.  It's coming back and nearly overtaking black.  It's partly called the 'Apple Effect' and partly because of the above practical reasons.  However it's also because of a disgusting reality TV show about Essex young people who just love flash white cars - no I don't watch it.
  • There are lot of white cars coming out - apparently it's been building up over the last few years (Ipad time).  I saw a great new mini yesterday in white with black top.  Apparently a lot of white luxury cars are out too.  I definately seen a lot on the road - because I'm looking I guess.   see this guys pics of fav white cars - http://www.here.org.uk/2008/02/more-white-cars-50-examples-of-why-white-is-the-most-popular-colour-choice-for-cars-in-the-world.html
My problem is that even though I might like the new white cars because of Apple, my love of white and the practical reasons (well yes I also can't resist bling sometimes), will I look like an old lady fan of the reality show - in a flash Essex girl's car (am I spiritually Essex - I'm obviously Essexist).  Will John look like a gangster and keep getting pulled over.  Will kids not be able to resist the nice white surface to draw on?  Will it be more likely to be nicked?

Apparently the colour of your car says something about your personality - grey and silver boring or is a company car.  Red is sporty obviously - most people too scared to have one.  Black is the most popular colour and white is about to overtake it.

Here is the sensible 'cafe late' ( cool late' or boring beige) colour of my current car.
My current colour - light enough and was the most popular colour for Qashqai - the one time I went understated.

I popped into Nissan yesterday to take pics of other colours and noticed they had just got in a new lot of their very cute Micras in - all in white.
The latest lot of Micras - all white

The Qashqai in white

Grey is ok

There are 2 reds - this is the brighter one.  Quite like both.


Black looks good but needs more chrome to look sophisticated.  It gets hot.



1 comment:

  1. Okay, you asked for comments!

    I had a white Fiesta and a white Cleo once upon a time, and yes, white looks fantastic. My reasons for never ever getting another white car again are as follows:

    Birds fly overhead, look down, see the white and think toilet. The then take the biggest dump of their lives right on your car. If you don't wash it off straights away, it looks as though it leaves a brownish stain. I once had to abandon my car under a tree (where it had stopped) for the weekend. Believe me, that Fiesta NEVER looked the same after!

    That brings me squarely around to car washing. White is white, and when it's dirty, it's grey. There is no way round the fact that you will be washing that car far more often. It may look cool in the summer, but what about in the winter, when it will be constantly covered in mud, slush and general winter yukkyness.

    My Cleo was like a bad luck magnet, though that may have nothing to do with the car colour! It was broken into and had the spare wheel sawn off the underage, in Sainsbury's car park on a Saturday, whilst people stood around and watched. I was so glad to unload that baby.

    Should you follow a trend or set one? If white is cool now, will it still be cool next year or will you look like yesterday's washed -up Essex girl?! By the way, will you have to do over the top make-up and have sun bed skin to complete the look?!

    I have also owned red and burgundy cars. I loved driving a red car. The burgundy was not a colour of choice.

    I have to be honest, boring though you may think it, a version of grey would be my choice. Interestingly, most cars in the Asian countries I have visited are versions of grey/silver.

    Ha ha, I haven't owned a car since we lived in Africa, so what do I know?!

    Have fun with whatever you get. You're going to look cool anyway, especially in your Shirjamas and that bright pink huge sunhat you bought in France to wear in my garden!!!

    ReplyDelete